Reporting to: Director of Front Office
Summary of Position: The Front Office of the Hotel is the hub of its operation. As such, the Concierge at Hotel Gansevoort assumes a pivotal role in overall guest satisfaction and the ultimate success of the Hotel. The concierge acts as a gracious, efficient, timely and personalized link between the guests needs, the different hotel departments, and the city at large. Given the integral nature of the position, the concierge’s demeanor must be reflective, at all times, of the highest standards of professionalism exemplified by Gansevoort. A consistently positive attitude, knowledge of all facets of the operation and attention to detail are traits, which our concierge staff is required to have. They must also be efficient in the overall operation of the front office, providing guest assistance wherever required.
- To serve as a Gansevoort Hotel Group Brand Ambassador and maintain integrity of brand standards and goals.
- To uphold and comply with Gatsby Standards, Coyle Standards and Gansevoort Core Values at all times.
- Maintain standards of a five star service.
- Assist and offer assistance to all hotel guests.
- Act as a liaison between the hotel guests and New York City.
- Assist Front Office Management with all requests.
- The ability to provide accurate information to guests in a courteous manner; fill all reasonable guests’ requests or requirements; anticipate guest needs.
- The ability to take guest messages for in-house or arriving guests in accordance with procedures, with an emphasis on accuracy and proper follow-up.
- Provide information about local attractions, shopping and points of interest in the city.
- Provide reservations or coordination for land transportation, airlines, restaurants, sporting/cultural/concert events, babysitters, boat charters, beauty salons, car rentals, clubs, spa services, currency exchange, tours, flower orders, medical services, museums, water sports, etc. Verbal and/or written notification is to be provided to guests upon confirmation of desired service.
- The ability to assist in the reconciliation of charges originating from the concierge desk. (Limousines, tours, flowers etc).
- Assist guests in the use of the Business Center installations and related services such as faxes, copies, etc.
- Facilitate, in conjunction with security and bell staff, the proper and expeditious flow of guest’s packages, parcels, envelopes, US mail, equipment deliveries, etc; both incoming and outgoing.
- Maintain the concierge desk, storage area, bell closet in an orderly manner.
- Redirect hotel-related service complaints or concerns from guests to the attention of the appropriate hotel department, or manager, for immediate attention or resolution.
- Display a high level of integrity and professionalism at all times in dealing with guests, employees and outside contacts.
- Maintain adequate inventories.
- Assist in additional tasks/projects as needed.
- Respond in courteous, professional and rapid manner in order to resolve all guest and staff difficulties.
- Supervise, direct, coordinate, influence and persuade staff in order to maintain service standards of hotel.
- Perform a variety of duties, often changing from one task to another of a different nature without loss of efficiency or composure.
- Develop individual skills and performance to the highest possible level.
- To ensure all systems are kept up to the date with accurate information and the Hotel Gansevoort standards are complied with fully.
- To deliver a consistently high standard of customer service within the department.
- Assist training new Front Office staff.
- General phone etiquette.
- Ability to do multiple tasks.
- Flexible to work schedules.
- Utilize good common sense.
- Minimum of 1 year experience.
- High school diploma or equivalent required, 4 years related degree preferred.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills in English (multi-lingual preferred).
- Computer skills required (Microsoft Office applications, GoConcierge, Opera PMS, HotSoS).
- Detail oriented, sound judgment and strong interpersonal skills.
- Must be able to seize, grasp, turn and hold objects with hands.
- Must be able to work stationary for at least 8 hours.
- Periodical fast paced movements are required to go from one part of the property to others.
- Must be able to move, pull, carry or lift at least 40 pounds.
- Occasionally kneel, bend, crouch and climb is required.